In every life, there comes a time when we have 2 have to choose something over other. We do it spoil the time but there are some decision which are as easy as right vs writing or average vs best. What if it is best vs best?
There are four things in my life I want to do a lot.
Programming , Reading , Blogging and reading.
From my experience and schedule I think I can fulfill only 3.
Programming and Blogging is important for my self actualisation. They are not leavable.
So left is reading novels or playing rpgs.
What you think of better out of them?
I done a lot of thinking on this and reached a decision.
I chose novels.
Why? Have a look at the following points.
1. The first thing story and plot. RPGs even with a big map to explore cannot provide a strong or complex plot as in a book.
A book author does not have to concern with programming a battle system or different skills, charterer level etc. He have to only focus on writing a good story. This allows him to create much complexer plot.
No game can match the complexity of LOTR or’ Coin and dagger’ or Harry Potter etc.
2. Book character have much more emotional depth than that of RPGs. Many of the characters in RPGs are just numbers. They are just defined by their stats (like strength, defense) etc. and not by their emotions as a human being. You may want to contradict it. But less than 30% of rpg characters shows any real emotion.
3. Books provide much more choice and varieties than RPGs. For every rpg developer, there is more than 10 authors. So novels thousands more in numbers .
Also novels provide many geners like fantasy, romance, science fiction, drama, historical and many more . Such variety is not at all present in RPGs.
4. Novels have much more mature written stories. They are true literature. Rpgs at the end of the day are games made for children around 12 years old.
I have loved Rpgs in my teens. But as I have grown up. Rpgs feels like a little childish.
5. Rpgs take much more time, space and money.
Of course an rpg occupy much more space in your device’s memory then an eBook. Space on an average eBook if around 350kb in comparison to 40 mb of an average rpg.
Also they cost much more and you have to devote time for level grinding.
For many that will me more fun then books. But majority will consider it waste of time.
Many of you may not agree with me. Even willing to debate to defend your favorite rpgs.
But I want to tell you, I am myself a big fan of RPGs. I have loved them and have enjoyed 100 of hours of adventure in many realms.
I will remember all the rpgs I have played till my last breath. But finally books have won.
But in our generation we have got many more choices that have fused books and rpgs together. Choose Your Own Adventure games(like that of Choice of Games) and many visual novels like Lone Wolf Saga. These have best features of both.
Adventure of RPGs combined with depth of books , is the true evolution of fantasy.
Thanks for reading. Please spare a minute to express your views.